Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Money, Women, and TV

So the other day I was cleaning with the TV on in the background (I like to watch "How Clean Is Your House?" because although my home would never ever look like that, I almost understand how it happens to people, and boy, nothing makes me more motivated to do my laundry than seeing what would happen if I just didn't do it). My Tivo started watching "Sex and the City." I'm torn about the show. On the one hand, Carrie Bradshaw is often so vapid she makes me want to vomit, but on the other hand, Miranda is actually interesting.

This episode was on the first hand. It's the one where Aidan leaves Carrie (because she cheated on him) and serves her with papers saying she either has to buy the apartment or vacate it so he can sell it. Carrie despairs because although her apartment is huge and cheap and although she has money to buy shoes and to spend on cab fare (because she can't walk in her expensive shoes), she has no money for a down payment. Carrie thinks it's cool to live by the seat of her pants, and she thinks it's normal (she's shocked when all her friends have savings). And I think we're all supposed to think this is sympathetic--mostly, as far as I can see, because the seat of Carrie's pants is inhabited by the adorable ass of SJP, who's just too cute to be mad at.

Unfortunately, I'm heterosexual, so SJP's wiles do nothing for me, and I think it's pretty goddamn disgraceful. I suppose in today's dollars, Carrie would deserve a big old high-five for not having thousands of dollars of debt. But then bitchy Carrie goes one step further by being all pissed that Charlotte doesn't offer to help her buy her apartment. Charlotte says it's not her responsibility to fix Carrie's money problems. Right on! But then the show clearly shows that Charlotte was Wrong by having her give Carrie her wedding ring (she's divorced) to pay for the apartment, thus salvaging their friendship.

Is this an isolated incident? Society at large surely isn't saying that if a woman is pretty enough, she shouldn't have the self-respect to be responsible for herself, right? Well, I'm not so sure. A very different show, "How I Met Your Mother," recently revealed that adorable Lily racked up so much shopping debt that she and Marshall barely qualified for a mortgage. Marshall's response? Basically, "I love you, so I love your debt." Wow. That Marshall is just so good he's almost fictional. (Although I will say I know such people do exist.)

Women of America, this is bullshit. Get off your gorgeous fannies and take some responsibility for your own financial futures. Pass up a pair of shoes and pay down your credit card or start a savings account. Contribute to your 401k. Balance your damn checkbook. Because it just feels good to look after your own future and not rely on "good fortune" or on finding a Marshall. Screw L'Oreal. The 401k is because you're worth it.

No comments: