Monday, May 08, 2006

Stick It

Friday night I went with friends to see "Stick It," a movie which starred breathtaking young women and Jeff Bridges. (Nice going, Jeff--sweet gig.)

My friend and I were, perhaps, overzealous about this movie because a couple of weeks ago we went to see "Take the Lead," that ballroom dance movie starring Antonio Banderas. I've always kind of felt that Antonio Banderas was a joke, but as soon as I saw the previews for this movie I thought, "Hey, someone finally told him." So now Antonio knows he's funny, and we can all laugh with him rather than at him. And I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

So having had such success with an age-inappropriate and potentially crappy comedy, we were emboldened to try "Stick It." I have to admit, it was entertaining. And I give extra credit to any enterprise that includes a pop-culture reference that will be missed by most people who aren't on furlough from the local nursing home. "Stick It" contains, I kid you not, an homage to Busby Berkeley. (I'm 34, but you should no doubt return me to the home immediately.) It morphs swiftly into a Gap-Ad with leotards, but it was infinitely more entertaining than the usual sports montage.

But the real treasure was seeing the movie with an audience full of teeny boppers. The gasps of disbelief, the boos for the various villains, and the general atmosphere of exuberance fueled by WAY too much energy was intoxicating. And, as we all know, a little intoxication makes any movie more entertaining.

No comments: