Thursday, October 26, 2006

I Miss the Lunch Lady

The lunch lady in my college knew the name of every single student. She would use your name every time you came in for a meal. When we went back for reunions, she still knew our names. I have often thought that memory experts should study her. I bet it would be profitable.

But no longer. Now we're just going to fingerprint students and debit their lunch accounts automatically. Big Brother wants your lunch money.

I watch way too much crime tv, so I can't help but wonder who else might be leveraging that gigantic database o' fingerprints (the reason, by the way, that if this happened at my college I'd expect to see a heavily used "opt out" program and perhaps a protest).

Not that it's even a given that they'll manage to store the data in a way that makes it useful for anything but collecting for Tuesday's mystery meat. My company has a biometric scan of my face, and lord knows we spend all day every day trying to get them to do efficient things with their information. The day they manage to do anything useful with my biometric data is the day we all start living in some kind of post-apocalyptic Keanu Reeves movie. (No, not that one. Probably Johnny Mnemonic.)

Anyway, peace out, Sheila. I miss you.

No comments: