Friday, February 09, 2007

L.O.V.E.

This morning I was awakened by NPR airing a little ditty on how flowers and candy are for the birds, and what you really want to do for your girl this Valentine's Day is write her an original love note. Repeatedly, they played "L.O.V.E." during the piece ("`L' is for the way you look at me, `O' is for the only one I see, `V' is very, very extraordinary..."). I realized immediately, to my slight embarrassment, that for me the definitive version of that song is no longer Sinatra or Martin but the exuberant version sung by Craig Ferguson.

Uh-huh. I was as surprised as you are. Or as surprised as you will be when I remind you of who Craig Ferguson is. You know. The host of the Late Late Show. Mr Wick from the Drew Carey Show? He sang the song in a light comedy called "Born Romantic." Bridget Jones it ain't, but the film has a bitter charm--the sort of movie that attempts to make you reach for your hankie when a guy gives his girlfriend the Physician's Desk Reference as a romantic gift. And it has a bit of death in it (because if Love had a boyfriend, we all know who it would be).

Mr. Ferguson goes all out for "L.O.V.E." with my favorite brand of charm (proud, bold unpopularity--a winner every time) and honestly, the song sounds much less sappy-sweet when it's salted with a Glaswegian accent. I may have to give it another listen this Valentine's Day.

Yes, I know you all have better plans. No need to rub it in.

No comments: