Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Where the Bear Stearns Trouble Really Started

My company shares a building with Bear Stearns. Mostly, that's been super (they have a swell cafeteria). Lately it's been sort of sad, as you ride up in the elevator with people who are asking each other, "Have you found anything? Do they have anything else?" And I felt bad for them, because they seemed like nice people.

Then, last Thursday, inexplicably, they all started behaving like total morons. Our company is at the top of the elevator shaft (there's a second bank of elevators that goes to the top of the building). Logically, you would expect any elevator that comes to our floor to contain either exiting passengers or the occasional person who missed his floor due to blackberry abuse.

Last Thursday, every single elevator that came to our floor was full of Bear Stearns employees. They were all riding the elevator up in an attempt to exit the building. We waited through four elevators and then I finally took the stairs--I should know where they are anyway, in case of an emergency.

And as I walked home thinking about what rude people they were, I realized--they're not rude. They just don't know up from down.

1 comment:

nkilkenny said...

I used to know someone who worked for them. That place really has that head up the keyster culture goin for it.