Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The "Virtual Face-to-Face"

I missed my corporate shuttle flight this morning. I'll be doing penance for a while, but for now the main consequence is that I am attending a face-to-face virtually.

My company is so used to dealing with each other at a distance that we have a special name for meetings where you are physically in the same room as the other people at the meeting. They are face-to-faces. Remind you of online dating? It's kinda like that, only the other people in the work face-to-face will reliably be there. Unless they're me. But that's another story.

So this is my opportunity to see a whole bunch of people I work with all the time but never actually see. And instead I'm attending from my dining room table. They're in the room eating truffles and cookies and getting actual meaningful social interaction. I'm at home, dialed into a bridge and hooked into NetMeeting and wondering what I can eat for lunch.

In my relentless pursuit of saving money, my household of one has moved to a just-in-time food acquisition model. I wasn't planning to be here today. So I have...milk, cheese, flour, and tequila. I'm thinking I may need to run to the store. If I bought eggs I could make popovers. Hot popovers and cheese are just about the best lunch on earth.

I know what you're thinking. But I'm saving the tequila for the weekend.

No comments: