Monday, April 09, 2007

Gay Weddings For Disney

I'll admit, I think of Disney the ultimate breeder empire, so I personally would never have thought of this. But I can appreciate the idea of gay and lesbian couples sharing another stereotypically heterosexual part of the American dream--it's not exactly equal rights, but rock on.

Part of me is thinking about the reactions of some folks back home who are going to have a classic moment of internal conflict--they'll want to boycott Disney, but they just won't be able to, because it's nearly as integral to their home life as their church. Which is not to suggest that Disney and their church share the same actual status in their hearts and minds, because they take their faith seriously and practice it with genuine passion and tolerance, and for them Disney is sacred mostly because the brand provides suitable family entertainment that, if it doesn't support their religious views, at least reliably fails to challenge them. Plus, animation--yay! I'm just saying that an alien anthropologist visiting their home and sorting through the ratio of religious relics versus Disney paraphernalia would have a hard time telling the difference.

My guess is that they'll do what my friend's dad always used to do--say that gays might as well suffer the indignities of marriage just like the rest of us. And if they want to drop forty-five grand at Disneyland to do it, well, they're contributing to the economy, so at least they're making themselves useful.

I just desperately want a Disney gay wedding brochure. I'll treasure it. I promise.

No comments: