Saturday, June 16, 2007

Why I'm Not Watching a DVD

On Thursday, I was waiting for stuff to come to my house, so I couldn't go in to work. This was unexpected, and my out-of-office message only covered me for Wednesday. My boss didn't know I wasn't coming in. I wanted to rectify the situation.

I remembered the technical geniuses at our help desk showing how I could remotely log in from home, so I called them. I had some trouble, so they remotely connected to my home PC. Immediately, they were horrified. "What's all this extra crap you have here? My God, what are all these things?" I should have been suspicious when they pondered deleting my PMP Exam study program, but I wasn't.

They deleted a bunch of stuff. Games, HP help programs, stuff like that. Well, lo and behold, they also deleted something called a "video decoder." So now I have a slick media PC that can't use media.

Words cannot express how pissed off I am at them for single-handedly removing all the fun from my PC and turning it into something that can be used only to surf the internet and work. Oh, and as a doorstop.

I'm trying to fix it myself, but so far no joy. I have downloaded free video decoders--nothing works. I have tried to restore my machine to the day before they started screwing around with it, but to no avail. I'm now using HP's handy dandy application reinstaller to reinstall the media player (that didn't work) and some other associated stuff (results TBD). But in my opinion, work has stepped well and truly over the line by ruining my Friday night.

And really, had I known these were my options, I would have just CALLED my boss or e-mailed her on my crackberry. Because truth be told, I want to play a DVD or CD on my computer almost every day. I'm looking forward to reformatting my iPod for Windows (damn it), which will entail reloading my music onto it, which will mean that I will need the computer to recognize music. And at this point, I don't really care if I can never use it for work again.

No comments: