Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Allen Wrench Hoedown

In the wake of my TV purchase I have discovered that I am a sucky, sucky project manager. I have a TV, but I have no cable, and the TV stand for my new, sleek TV is actually a huge square TV stand befitting the giant behemoth that my super heaved out to the curb. (It was fixably broken and gone in minutes. Brooklyn's curbs are like a magic act.)

So I've been playing catch up. Last night when I got home, my new TV stand had arrived from Target.com. It's sleek and low (allowing me access to a whole extra shelf of books behind the TV and generally not overpowering my tiny apartment) and it cost $100. Now, I read the reviews of this piece before I bought it. There were a lot of comments about how the thing was too damn small. "It will only fit your DVD player and your TV," whines one reviewer. The thing has 3 shelves. I suck at math, but what kind of 3-shelved thing can only hold 2 items? Anyway, the stand is still a lot bigger than it needs to be for me personally, but the key point is that it is smaller than the one I had before, and a lot less obtrusive. It was also easy to assemble and looks almost as good as stuff that comes from West Elm, but didn't cost $500. And if I put a vase of orchids or a statue of Saraswati on it, my TV stand will look like a commercial for Samsung. It will look sexy, people. Darn sexy.

Now here's my question. If you're not so very wealthy in this country, you end up assembling a lot of furniture. On a good piece of furniture, you don't have anything left over...except the allen wrench. The TV stand came with two fine allen wrenches. I have about ten allen wrenches of various sizes in my toolbox from various assembly projects. What should I do with them? Can I fashion them into some kind of trophy? Give them to people as awards? I'll let you know if I come up with anything good, but I think I'll probably just end up putting them in my toolbox.

No comments: