Saturday, July 24, 2010

Reading author blogs...

I've just decided something. A rare occurrence! I have decided that I shouldn't read writer blogs anymore. No Scalzi, or Rothfuss, or Gaiman, or Gerrold, or anyone! Not because the blogs themselves aren't interesting, because they are. No, what gets me are the comments. And not because they're inane (and usually they are). Nope, because somehow reading comments is addictive. Every time I read a blog post I'm drawn to look at the comments. Every damn time. And sometimes there are like HUNDREDS of them. And I read just one, then another, than another, and it keeps going on and on and on and the next thing I know BAM another hour of my life is gone. I don't even know why I do it! What do I have to show for that hour? Less faith in humanity, less sleep than I could have had, and a nagging feeling like I'm just coming out of some waking coma in which I had dreams populated almost entirely by suck-ups or stupid people. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some more blog comments to read.

2 comments:

Seeker said...

Ok...here is an idea...you could leave a comment on MY BLOG!!! Then I would have something to read!!!!! :)

mathcat said...

On rare occasion, the comments on Scalzi's blog are worth reading. The comments on Rothfuss' blog are terrible. But I have the same problem you do- I have to physically stop myself from clicking on the "comments" button every time I read in intriguing post. I always think "other people must have something interesting to say about this" and then it's just a time suck for the next hour, or two.....

Feel free to ignore this comment and it's complete lack of originality.