Thursday, May 24, 2007

Drinking while low on blood

They took a bunch of blood today for tests. In the past, I have been known to pass out when they take blood for tests--once in the parking lot of an urgent care clinic. I remember blissfully embracing the warm asphalt as my mother ran inside for help. Good times. Once I thought this was because I was such a weenie, but it turns out that it has to do with having low blood pressure, so I'm not a weenie. (Or rather, I am, but not because I pass out when they take my blood.)

I went back to work, even though I felt sleepy and dizzy. Because, let's be honest, what else am I going to do? You can't just go to sleep at 3.

But my colleagues were not to be fooled. They saw pale, listless Katy, and they sent her home. Not until 5:30, 'tis true, but still. So I walked home (good for the blood pressure--I did feel better once I was walking around) and stopped at the grocery store on the way home. And tonight I had a beer with my dinner, which I've been trying not to do.

Turns out that although most days I totally can't finish a beer, I can if you take a bunch of my blood and then have me walk a couple of miles. I finished it, and it wasn't even that much of a challenge. In fact, it was fantastic.

On the other hand, I'm normally a lightweight, and tonight, one beer is more than enough. My head is spinning. I want to watch the season finale of "Lost" and maybe another episode of "Heroes" (which is indeed charming, and I wish I'd been watching all along). But instead, I think I may go to bed with a DVD.

So what have I accomplished, here? Oh, that's right. Nothing. But the beer makes me feel better about it.

No comments: