Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Yummm ... Beeeerrr.

Picture Homer and the title makes sense. Ah, Homer. Remember the classic line "No TV and no beer makes Homer something something"? Five geek points to anyone who can name the episode. But I digress.

I was going to write about this beer called Delirium Tremens which I think is a Belgian beer and is very, very good. I was going to write about it but I couldn't remember much about it other than it seemed to be a wheat beer, it was quite potent (double alcohol content), it's very expensive, but it's soooo tasty. Buying a bottle of this is like buying a bottle of wine, only it tastes good. But what stopped me from writing about it is the fact that I have no capacity, at all, to describe just HOW beer tastes. I don't know the difference between a hop and a tannin. I know dark beer is dark, and tastes more sour and fuller, but I couldn't describe all these different zests and zings and weights and aromas that even beer drinkers seem to be able to pick out of a beer and put into words. For me it tastes good ... or it doesn't. Sweetwater, a local beer out in Atlanta, tastes good. Peroni, an Italian export light beer, tastes like skunk piss. That's about all I can tell you. DT tastes very good. There you have it.

In an effort to compensate for my lack of olfactory and gustatory fluency, I tried to search beer.com to find a good description of DT. I did not find one. But I did find that beer.com is a very interesting site, and worth looking at, if you don't mind the kinds of content that you would normally associate with a place with a lot of beer (a.k.a. a bar). So if you're at all interested in beer, check it out.

No comments: