Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Air Mattress--Not As Fun As Air Guitar

For those who don't know, I recently moved to Brooklyn, NY. I am thoroughly exhausted and therefore not really blogging. But here's a short overview:

1. A foot is much, much smaller in NY than in the rest of the world. Here 600 square feet is just friggin' tiny. And here's the thing. You think it's HUGE.
2. Air mattresses are NOT almost as comfortable as a regular bed. It is EXACTLY like sleeping on a plastic bag full of air. (See "exhausted," above.)
3. I am doing my shopping at some middle-eastern grocery store that sells pierogies and has a deli. They call me darling. I am sold. Of course, I've only shopped there once, and I was sleep deprived and suffering severe culture shock. Consequently I am living on granola. It's not pretty. Also, I was so tired I bet I can't find them again, even though it's a straight shot from my apartment.
4. I am around the corner from a renowned tattoo parlor.
5. Tonight I rode the subway with a woman who looked like she was reverse-engineered from Boy George. No, really. She didn't look like the woman Boy George might have aspired to emulating. She looked like someone photoshopped Boy George. It was like that line in Victor/Victoria--"a woman pretending to be a man pretending to be a woman."
6. My users still swear at me. Some things never change.
7. The help desk still requires screen shots to achieve communication. I actually stood behind a user as she took a screen shot in an effort to get them to stop asking her the same question over and over. "This button? Yes. I press this button, right here."

In other words, I'm right at home.

No comments: