Thursday, March 22, 2007

My Former Employer

My former employer has opted not to pay out my vacation. Apparently it is well within its rights to do that, because I was salaried and did not live in CA or MA, but that wasn't especially evident in the reams of paperwork I was given when asked to set my resignation date. Whatever. I'll look at the paperwork again, and if I think it's egregiously misleading, I'll write a letter, but frankly it's like my divorce--I just want out, and money is no object.

My message, dear readers (at least, I think there's more than one reader), is this. Your employer doesn't love you. Your employer doesn't want you to be happy. Your employer wants you to help it make money, and once someone (either party) has lost interest in that facet of your relationship, your employer just wants to do whatever protects it from legal action. Think of that the next time you're slaving late into the night because you want everything to be fair and perfect. (You know who you are.) Your employer's perfectionism ends with your last paycheck (or maybe a little before). So why does yours end at one in the morning?

Next entry I promise a new, improved blog that's at least 30% less bitter.

No comments: