Thursday, April 02, 2009

Lost in Thought

Okay, I'm behind on the current season of Lost.  I'm not sure what happened--something with my season pass got messed up, and I'm pretty much hoping I'll be able to catch up online, because abc.com is usually pretty good about that.
 
The philosophical bent of the show is one of the things I like about it, and the concept of utilitarian calculus is all the rage this season.  It's a concept that is creepily omnipresent in IT, and so it sits in the back of my mind as a sort of mental model for how decisions get made.  Any moral calculus that's simple enough to be useful makes logical errors eventually, so it's always fun to watch them in use in an IT environment and hope that the error doesn't happen today.
 
But this is the most creative moral calculus I've seen.  Enjoy.  (No really--look at the part about Ulysses.  How awesome is that?)

No comments: