Thursday, July 09, 2009

Rome

Not as in the place, as in the HBO series that you can get off of Netflix.

I figure of Katy gets to post about running, I get to post about TV shows other than Dr. Horrible. Yup, we're diversifying!

After the GAUDY HORROR that was Michael Jackson's ceremony (I didn't actually see it, I just had to throw that in there to see if I can get some hate comments. Just remember all you imaginary haters out there - we moderate our comments ;o) it is probably appropriate to list something cool to watch. And imaginary readers, Rome is it. I've now watched 5 episodes and liked 4 of them a lot and one of them a fair bit. Now, it's entirely possible that you could watch episodes 6, 7, 8, 8, 10, 11, 12, and 300 and find that it just sucks so I'm not making any promises for the whole series but what I've seen so far is promising! It's got reasonably complex characters, what I consider to be reasonably good acting, and a reasonably involved plot. All very reasonable. I hesitate to use superlatives because, well, I'm really not the accomplished TV watcher or critic, so I'll leave the "exceptional" and "wonderful" and "amazing" to wiser bloggers than myself. But I'm liking it, and if you're bored and have Netflix, check it out!

What's it about, you ask? Well, Rome. Duh. And Romans. Julius Ceaser, Mark Antony, the big wigs but also two soldiers, Titus Pullo and Lucius Varenus (I almost said Lucius Malfoy just there - wrong genre and medium) who get caught up in all the grand empire scale drama. They're both, again, reasonably complex and enjoyable. I really haven't seen enough of it to give you a great idea of the plot other than "reasonably complex" so you'll just have to settle for that.

Oh, by the way, I found the spell check feature on blogger and I promise to try to use it. I hate reading my own posts because I keep finding all those typos you guys are wincing at.

1 comment:

mathcat said...

It also has the best line ever: "Arithmetic has no mercy."

I've not watched the second season, but the first one was quite good.