Thursday, June 25, 2009

Better Off Ted

JP at Time has a great re-evaluation of Better Off Ted.  I really get the "Andy Richter Controls the Universe" vibe from it, and that show was genius.  I love the comedic style where a beat is as good as a punch line--it strikes me as ideally suited for satirizing office culture, where so often all you can do is blink at the absurdity.  I love the scientists, especially Jonathan Slavin, who was terrific as Andy's office mate in "Universe."  I love Portia de Rossi's Veronica and her struggle to deal with the inferior race she's stranded with here on earth.  And I really love Ted.  Even though he's a middle manager, his efforts to navigate a path between corporate success and personal integrity have an Everyman feel.
 
ABC has a pretty darn good web viewer--I'd encourage our imaginary readers to check it out.  "Racial Sensitivity" is my personal favorite so far, but I have a special place in my heart for anything that makes fun of Power Point.

No comments: