Saturday, February 27, 2010

My Android Phone--The Ultimate Timewaster

I'm loving the Eris. It is all I can do to stay off it while I'm at work and to add apps slowly enough that I'll have some traceability if something crashes my phone--I don't exactly want to come home from software testing all day at work and have to painstakingly try to figure out which of the 30 apps I added in the last 3 days is causing relentless rebooting of my phone. Not that I've experienced that. I have had a couple of reboots, but they all occurred when the battery was spectacularly low (I'm trying to drain the battery completely before I recharge the first few times).

I probably won't write about all the app coolness for a while because a) anyone who was really all that interested in cool phone applications has probably had an iPhone for years, and b) I'm really starting with the basics, and there are thousands of reviews out there, all of them better and more informed than any blog post I could write on the topic. But there is app coolness, and it is cool.

On the one hand, I am very sorry that I waited so long to get a new phone--I really underestimated how much I would enjoy it (at least, so far--any technology toy runs the risk of decreasing awesomeness over time). On the other hand, AT&T actually did me a favor by sticking me with my sad old free Nokia for an extra two years, because the thrill of an Android phone is probably sweeter when contrasted violently with technology half a decade old.

There is a very small Luddite part of me that occasionally reminds me that it is insane to be this obsessed with a phone. But then I show it an exciting app and it shuts up for another 3 or 4 days. I'm sure in a few weeks I'll have beaten it into submission altogether.

No comments: