Saturday, February 27, 2010

One little thing I forgot to mention about the tri

Today on my run I remembered something about the tri I should have included in my report post. I almost flashed the entire aquatic center. I don't think I mentioned it, but for the past 4 months I've been telling myself I needed to buy a new swim suit. But suits are hard to find in the middle of winter in the Frozen North, for some reason, and my old suit was still servicable. It had started out as a dark blue and after many years and a whole lot of chlorine was now no color at all. It was maybe a bit thinner and a bit more shapeless than it had been, but it covered all the right bits and it was in no way a Speedo so I was happy with it. I do believe it was the rattiest suit of anyone I saw at the event, and I was kind of proud of that. I may blow zillions of dollars on linux boxes (this post hosted by LB2TR, btw), but I'm quite frugal when it comes to things like clothing. Mostly because no matter how carefully you dress me up, there's still me underneath, and it that's good it's good anyway and if it's bad well I'll just look like an idiot who is trying not to look like an idiot by dressing up. So I did the swim and all and was just climbing out of the pool, ready to go to the locker room and change into my running/biking gear, and riiippppp. I looked down. And uhm, I looked right back at myself if you know what I mean. Oops. I quickly squished my legs together which had the effect of hiding the really big rip right at the crotch of the suit, and kind of waddled off to the locker room. Very lucky me - the locker room was very close to my lane. Nobody seemed to see, or if they did they were too polite to point and stare, so it didn't stand out in my mind as a Most Embarrassing Moment, but it certainly went into the Near Miss category. It's also interesting to note that in the middle of an event, when you're working hard and focused on a goal, you don't embarrass very easily. I'm not saying I wouldn't have freaked if my suit had fallen off, but I only would have freaked with part of my brain, and the rest would be thinking that I only have 10 minutes to pick up the pieces of the suit, get changed, and get to the bike before the next event. One of my friends said that I had gone so fast in the swimming that it shredded my suit. That is vaguely true. In the same way that you can run so fast your shoes fall off your feet, if your shoes are made of wet toilet paper.

I did buy a new suit after that, by the way. It was, and so far still is, blue.

1 comment:

Katy said...

This is right up there with the time my pants fell down while I was running home from Prospect Park. It was about 6 in the morning...maybe earlier, and for a wonder there was nobody on the street (walking their dog or whatever). And I was (thank God) wearing running tights underneath, which is why I didn't notice until I almost tripped. Still, it must have made for a comical sight for whatever Park Sloper happened to be looking out the window of his or her snazzy 3rd Street apartment. I hope they did a spit take with their cappuccino.