Saturday, August 29, 2009

Another time waster...

This one is bad. It's bad because it's a bad timewaster come back from the dead. Long ago there was a game called Heroes of Might and Magic 2 (HOMM2). I know it's a dumb name, but it's a good game, the rhyme notwithstanding. Not a good game, a great game. A terrific game. An addictive game. Way more than some other time wasters I've blogged about. But I was safe for a decade because it was an MS-DOS based game in a Windows world, and you couldn't buy it anymore anyway. But then I found this site: Gog.com. GOG stands for Good Old Games. It's a site that specializes in digging up classic games, buying the rights to them, retooling them to run on modern systems (often with the use of DosBox), and then selling them cheap (as in $5-$10). It's a brilliant idea, and I hope their site really takes off. So I was checking it out and there was HOMM2.

Well, once I saw it there it was all over. I downloaded it within 10 minutes, played it a bit even while on a trip, and since I've gotten home have given at least 8 hours of my life to the damn thing. That's in the space of 4 days. It may not sound like a lot, but when you consider I don't really have all that much time to fill, it is a lot.

I'd try to describe the joy that is HOMM2 to you but, well, that would distract me from playing it. Or sleeping. Both of which are more fun. Suffice it to say, if you like fantasy strategy games, this one is a blast.

No comments: