Sunday, August 16, 2009

You know you've read too much fantasy when...

I came across this link to a New Yorker piece describing 7 books for non-fantasy "literary adults" to read if they are looking for "actual novels" instead of just Harry Potter and Tolkien derivatives. I'm pleased (or ashamed) to say I've read all but 2 of the 7 on the list. I also agree with about half of the selections, but that half that I agree with I agree with A LOT so I don't view it as a bad list. It's got Erickson, who rocks, and Kay, who rocks just as much, and gave honorable mentions to Cook and Martin (who rock perhaps a bit less). Rothfuss is on there, and his first and only book is awesome. I actually found the link on Rothfuss's blog. He wasn't bragging, nah! But did I mention that Kay rocks?? Tigana was just incredible.

I don't really think Goodkind and Brooks are all that stellar, though I haven't read the Brooks (Scions) book that is recommended. Williams is well loved by people I love, and I enjoyed his work, but I found his books long in a bad way. I'll read long books, anyone who's read Erickson will know that, but I like them to be long because something interesting is being said or done. I have not read Hobb, but probably will just to see what the fuss is about. In any case, if you like Fantasy or are interested in it, the list is not a bad place to start.

No comments: