Monday, December 14, 2009

At the Risk of Becoming My Mother

(I know, some of you are thinking, "too late.")

I heard this piece on NPR this morning and thought of my favorite runners. Ari Shapiro, always personable, tells Rachel Flotard that her exuberant "Hand Me Down" has dramatically improved his running time. Flotard's interview with Shapiro sounds so fresh and unrehearsed, which is one of the things I love about a really great interview. Sometimes you see so many musicians on late night tv, where their appearances are boiled down to the most mainstream of their anecdotes and the laughter seems not so much canned as frozen and then reheated. It's nice to hear actual humans laugh together--like real whipped cream on a homemade pie. Flotard's openness on the air charmed me utterly. Plus, the song has a great beat. Listen if you haven't heard it.

No comments: