Sunday, December 27, 2009

How I Spent My Christmas Vacation

First, let me say that I genuinely had a good time this Christmas. I saw people who love me, and none of them drove me crazy, which is a huge accomplishment.

But it was not all fun and games. There has been very minor emergency surgery, which, although minor and in no way life-threatening, was painful and has never been part of my plans for vacation. And I've also been sick with a run of the mill cold for six days, which is a big ol' chunk of my time off.

And I realize this sounds like a lot of bitching and whining, but the cold will eventually get tired and go off and bother somebody else, and the surgery, while not a long-term solution, did reduce my pain to the point where I was able to genuinely enjoy my vacation, so that's a win in my book. I also got to deal with a doctor who isn't a jerk and who didn't submit me to a giant bureaucratic nightmare of inefficiency and ineffective treatments. Instead, her office saw me (an out-of-town patient she hadn't seen in 3 years) ten minutes after I showed up on their doorstep looking sweaty and pathetic and begging for help, and I went home (well, home with my cousin and her husband) still in pain but knowing that the pain was being dealt with swiftly and kindly, which is the sort of thing that threatens to restore my faith in human nature.

Even more importantly, the larger end result of these two issues has been that I've spent a lot of my vacation on my ass. Which, frankly, I need to do deliberately someday, because if it's enjoyable when you're sick and recovering from surgery, I bet it is freakin' awesome when you're healthy.

No comments: