Wednesday, December 02, 2009

It's in the mail!

Well, I ordered it last night. All the parts for my new wonderful Linux Box O' Joy. Except the hard drive and dvd drive - those are cheap enough at Best Buy for me to run down the road to pick them up. Here's an interesting fact. Newegg has free shipping on just about everything worth buying. So after I ordered a BIG computer case, a power supply, a motherboard, a video card, a CPU, and 2 sticks of RAM from them I was charged a total of $9 for shipping. Crazypc.com does not have free shipping. So once I ordered a small heat sink from them I paid $10 in shipping. I'm sure that says something profound, but I'm just not quite sure what.

Stuff should be arriving in the next 2-3 days and my study will quickly look like a post office with loads o' boxes and packing materials. And when things finally slow down at work in a few weeks I'll start putting it all together. Fingers crossed for no DOA components. Nothing screws up a build like a defective component you'll have to wait 2 weeks to replace.

One last comment though. I just can't tell you how happy it makes me to be building a system and NOT worrying about paying $200 for the damn operating system plus whatever the office software costs. And to know that I can upgrade this new box as many times and in as many ways as I damn well want with NO concerns about the dreaded "reactivation" process. Yes, that alone makes Linux a very good thing

No comments: