Monday, December 21, 2009

Small victory

Well, another milestone on LB2TR today. I got Heroes of Might and Magic 2 to run with all the sound working, including the CD opera sounds. Sound like a small deal? It is! But it's a cool one. It actually took more fooling around with DOSBOX than with Linux, but it did end up using some very basic command line work in Linux, and now has me wondering about how to write shell files so that I can automate some of the processes I just used. I'm finding the Linux experience to be interesting. It's like I know there are ways to do all of these things, but I don't know what they are. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a time warp and I'm running a DOS machine from the command line, and other times I feel like I'm running Windows XP. But no matter which mode I'm in, I'm still trying to figure out the right terms, short cuts, or whatever to make it all work. It's like trying to speak a dialect of English, but one that is just different enough that I can't quite get it down.

This is exactly what I had thought would happen, and exactly why I'm trying to do as much as I can on this machine. The only way to learn a language is to speak it, and the only way to learn a new OS is to use it. So on I go. But now with a cool game complete with cool sound to keep me company. It's the small victories that count.

No comments: