Tuesday, December 08, 2009

It's almost all here!

Well, today the case, CPU, and sound card arrived. Yesterday I got the mobo, graphics card, hard drive, and power supply. The power supply is frigging huge, and looks like it could power a large killer robot with death rays and earthquake shoes. The video card is tiny and quaint. It's kind of fun to buy a video card that is NOT supposed to run Killer Games of High Res Death. It's small, and passively cooled, and weighs about 1/3rd of any other graphics card I've seen in the past year. And I can officially state now that the heat sink weighs more than any other component except the case (which is a battle ship) and the power supply (which is its nuclear reactor).

I'm going out of town for a few days, and I'm still waiting for a dinky little DVD drive (the only component not picked to be silent, mostly because I won't be using it much). So I'll be putting it together this weekend hopefully. And then maybe the linux can really take off. OR I just blew a whole lot of money to have a large, very quiet paper weight. Let's hope it's the former.

No comments: