Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Running: I'm back?

Well, for all those who were holding their breaths, longing to know how my running career would turn out after the Hell Run, I can fill you in a bit. I took a week off. You would think that would be easy and it should be but, well, it isn't. It makes me grumpy and antsy and all kinds of other words ending in "y." I confined myself to eliptical and stationary biking for the week. But the upshot was, by the end of the week it no longer hurt to walk at all and so I decided to try running a bit. I got on a treadmill, set it to no elevation whatsoever, and did a quick 5.75 miles. It did hurt, in a kind of sore, stretchy way, but it was not the sharp, twisting pain I had before and it stayed constant throughout, instead of increasing as it did on the Hell Run. In short, it felt a lot better than the last time I had tried to run on it. I took today off to rest my leg and I'll go back and try another light treadmill run tomorrow. I'm hoping that gradually upping the effort will let me get back to my base while still healing. I'm still nervous about it though - I plan on being quite vigilant as I run tomorrow and if I get anything even close to that twinge I'm off that treadmill! So wish me luck.

By the way, I'm aware, on some basic level, how crazy it is to whine (yes, I'm whining) about not running for a whole 7 days. I used to be sane. I used to be normal. I used to think running 5 miles in a month was a waste of a good 2 hours of your life. I can remember that. I just can't do it anymore. Some day I'll get some massive injury that will end the running and then I'll get back to being normal, unless I can find some other activity to obsess on. Until then I'm just gonna keep at it. And for now I'm going to bed.

No comments: