Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Why NPH is AWESOME

Neil Patrick Harris is awesome for way more than Dr. Horrible.  May I direct you to....

Exhibit A:  NPH appears as NPH (not himself, but a crazy version of himself) in "Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle."  Whatever you may think of the movie (I notice it wasn't nominated for an Oscar), I'm a sucker for a star who can make fun of himself.  I loved it when I saw Ryan O'Neal in What's Up, Doc and he made fun of the famous line in his earlier movie, Love Story, a tearjerker whose famous quote was, "Love means never having to say you're sorry."  In WUD, Barbra Streisand lays that same line on him, and O'Neal looks deep into her eyes and says, "That's the dumbest thing I ever heard."  NPH's appearance in Harold and Kumar is like that, only twenty percent more awesome.

Exhibit B:  How I Met Your Mother.  I love this show, even though I sincerely doubt I'm in its target demographic (I've already been married, so I think I'm supposed to be in the "New Adventures of Old Christine" target demographic--well, nuts to that).  True, some of the characters strain our love for them (you know who you are, Lily), and some just strain our patience (Ted is the only person I know who tells a story slower than I do).  But Barney just gets more and more awesome.  Watching the erstwhile champion of one-night-stands lose his heart is just adorable, especially since it's rounded out with Barney's flagrant disrespect for just about everything besides Robin and the Bro Code.  Niiiice.

Exhibit C:  NPH like, knows Stephen Sondheim.  I'm sorry, that's pretty cool.

Dr. Horrible.  If you haven't watched it yet, clearly you don't take this blog seriously.  (Not that there's anything wrong with that.  We want you to read.  We're not yet at the point where we demand total obedience.  But it would be cool if you obeyed, because you'd be entertained--and not by lay people like us, but by real, talented professionals.)  If, however, you already watched it last year when it came out, all I can say is that now the DVD is out, and it has a Musical Commentary Track.  You know you want it.

No comments: