Sunday, February 08, 2009

What I'll Miss Most About Brooklyn

So it's been a while since I posted.  I got laid off in October, and spent the next 3 months looking for a new job.  I started fresh at the beginning of January at a place that's just terrific--organized, pleasant, and financially sensible.  It's not perfect, mind you, but I think it's pretty clearly an upgrade.  I count myself very lucky indeed.

The only problem is that the new job is on Long Island.  I've been driving back and forth each day, but it takes a good 3 hours out of my day and untold bounce out of my step.  When I get home, I pretty much turn on the Tivo, watch ten or fifteen minutes of something, and then pass out, waking briefly and stumbling into bed a few minutes (or sometimes a few hours) later.  So I've made my peace with the idea of moving closer to work.

There's not much out there compared to Brooklyn.  I'm not saying it's a bad thing--it's far closer to my native habitat than Brooklyn, and I'm sure I'll settle in quite nicely once I'm there.  My apartment there will be larger.  It will have more than one kitchen drawer, and big, bright, sunny windows.  I'll have a washer and a dryer and a dishwasher--and a gas fireplace.  (And a guest room.  I'm just saying.)  It's going to be very, very nice.

But tonight, after my neighbors got home from work, we went to Fairway.  Fairway is a magical supermarket (probably because it's the size that a normal supermarket would be in any normal suburb).  It has all kinds of exciting things--my favorite cider, delicious baked goods, ethnic foods of every variety.  Every time I go I discover something else that I can't believe I missed.  This time it was a huge wall of fresh ravioli in every flavor imaginable--yummy. 

We came home and lugged our booty into our respective apartments, and then stood with our feet holding the apartment doors open and passed things back and forth--I borrowed their ketchup and put some on my non-cardiologist-approved french fries, and then passed it back, and they passed me a Haagen Dazs ice cream bar to throw into my freezer for later.  I'll miss all of this--a trip to the supermarket being an outing, an event; the easy camaraderie of knowing that a friend is just across the hall; the closeness that grows out of living too close together in quarters that are altogether too crowded.  I've loved Brooklyn, and I'll be heartbroken when I leave.

1 comment:

Shifter said...

Wow, that sounds a lot like what college was like the 1 semester I was in the dorms. That was a totally awesome feeling, and it does suck you have to give that up. I hope the new apartment is awesome and huge! I know it won't make up for it all the way but hopefully it will be some consolation.